X-ray operators working in the offices of medical doctors, chiropractors, podiatrists, and osteopathic physicians must complete an appropriate educational program and pass an approved examination prior to obtaining a certificate.
These operators of x-ray equipment are regulated by laws, rules, and regulations, which establish minimum educational standards and criteria for using equipment. These laws can be found in the chapters of the Tennessee Code Annotated referenced below by specialty.
Licenses can be renewed on-line 120 days prior to expiration at License Renewal & Address Update link under TN State X-Ray Links and follow the prompts. Licensees are responsible for renewing their certifications on time and keeping the Board apprised of current information. It is a violation of the law and of the board’s rules to practice on an expired license.
Applications for licensure may be obtained online at each board’s website or by calling the appropriate board at (615) 532-3202 or 1-800-778-4123.
Operators of x-ray equipment in medical doctors’ offices must have completed appropriate education, passed an approved examination, and be awarded a certificate by the Board of Radiologic Imaging and Radiation Therapy prior to operating x-ray equipment. Exemptions from certification exist only while the individuals are waiting to take the examination (a period of six (6) months following the completion of study) and while waiting for the examination scores (seventy-five (75) days following the examination). T.C.A. § 63-6-224.
Operators of x-ray equipment in osteopathic physicians’ offices must have completed appropriate education, passed an approved examination, and be awarded a certificate by the Board of Osteopathic Examiners prior to operating x-ray equipment. T.C.A. § 63-9-112.
Operators of x-ray equipment in chiropractic offices must have completed an approved course, provide certificate of required education when application is made to the Board of Chiropractic Examiners, pass an approved examination, then work under the direct supervision of a chiropractor to gain one thousand and forty (1,040) hours of experience prior to issuance of license. T.C.A. § 63-4-119
Operators of x-ray equipment in the offices of podiatrists must have completed an approved course, sixty (60) hours of clinical experience under supervision, pass an approved examination and be issued a certification by the Board of Podiatric Medical Examiners. T.C.A. § 63-3-125.
Tennessee State X-Ray Links
- Health Related Boards Site
- Medical X-Ray Operator Rules (Board of Radiologic Imaging and Radiation Therapy)
- Osteopathic X-Ray Operator Rules (Board of Osteopathic Examination)
- Podiatric X-Ray Operator Rules (Board of Podiatric Medical Examiners)
- Chiropractic X-Ray Operator Rules (Board of Chiropractic Examiners)
- X-Ray Registration Site (DRH)
- Medical or Osteopathic: Application Instructions for Licensure Reinstatement
- Chiropractic or Podiatric: Health Related Boards Reinstatement Application
- License Renewal & Name or Address Update
- TN Health Related Boards Licensure Verification System Site
- Affidavit of Retirement From Practice in Tennessee